Motivate students to get excited about track and field by challenging themselves against real world records!
By the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
• Describe the origins of the field of Track and Field
• List sports which fall within the field of Track and Field
• Perform basic technical aspects of various Track and Field events.
• Before class: create as many stations as you would like and place the appropriate equipment at each station (see equipment list below).
• Note: This lesson plan provides many station ideas (both Track and Field and other challenges). Adapt for your space/equipment by removing stations you don’t need!
• Introduce the field of Track and Field to students (see “Background” below)
• Distribute a worksheet to each student and break students into pairs.
• Explain the ”Station Instructions” (next page) to all students and instruct them to complete their worksheet, challenging themselves against the world record athletes. Students can take turns timing/measuring each other’s results in pairs.
• Send an approximately equal number of pairs to each station to complete the challenge.
• Rotate students through the stations, either at their own pace or every few minutes. Up to you if you would like them to try each activity more than once before moving on.