Boroughbridge High School
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
About Boroughbridge High School
Boroughbridge High School is a community secondary school with 670 students, including 80 students in the Sixth Form. The school has a welcoming, open site with well maintained buildings. The school offers every student the opportunity for high academic achievement along with personal fulfilment through a wide range of curricular and extra-curricular activities.
Our last Ofsted inspection was December 2016, when the school was rated as ‘Good’. We draw students from a wide catchment area with a mixed rural and urban character.
Our aim is to give students opportunities to lead, to take responsibility and to develop a clear pathway to the next stage of their lives. To that end, there is a strong emphasis on pastoral support and on careers advice, combined with a sense of pride, aspiration and achievement.
Here at Boroughbridge High School we strongly believe that we possess the core foundations to become an excellent school, including:
- A new Governing Board which is determined to improve the education for every student;
- A school rich in facilities to maximise the learning experience;
- Friendly, caring and engaged students who are keen to learn and have the potential of high achievement.
We see our particular strengths as:
- Our open culture and very good relationship between staff and students.
- Committed senior leadership team;
- Highly effective Governing Board;
- Teaching that is consistently good to outstanding, leading to improved outcomes for all students.
Our current notable Initiatives include:
- STEM Microbiology Project: we are a lead school in a Wellcome Institute 2 year microbiology hub project, for which the school has received national recognition. We are an approved Royal Society Associate School and have close ties with York University Science department. We frequently provide presenters at national educational events.
- Wildlife Wetlands Area: this is a unique area being developed for science and environmental study. It is a superb space for primary school and community use and for collaboration projects.
- Careers Pathfinder Project: Boroughbridge High is one of the schools in a county-wide careers pilot project. It involves advanced national qualification in careers guidance for key staff and is audited by Derby University. The school has been cited as an example of good practice in their audit report and will achieve all the Gatsby quality benchmarks.
The school has a total teaching compliment of 40 along with 22 associate and support staff, all of whom are committed, experienced and effective in supporting students to realise their potential.
The school has established strong links with the local community including with local military bases which fall within the catchment and our students and staff are actively involved in numerous community activities and events.
The school is based in the thriving market town of Boroughbridge which is a lovely place to work and live. Adjacent to the A1(M), there is easy access to the motorway network with Leeds, York, Harrogate and Teesside all easily commutable.
Situated close to the Yorkshire Dales, Yorkshire Moors National Park and other designated areas of outstanding natural beauty, as well as the coastal resorts of Whitby, Scarborough and Filey.
North Yorkshire is consistently in the top quartile for education results and we have the Universities of York, Hull and Leeds on our doorstep.
To find out more about Boroughbridge please visit the community website: www.boroughbridge.org.uk