Parrs Wood High School
Manchester, United Kingdom
About Parrs Wood High School
Parrs Wood High School is a popular oversubscribed mixed 11-18 community school with a thriving sixth form that has a proven record of academic excellence.
The original school opened in 1967 as an 11-18 co-educational comprehensive situated in the South Manchester suburb of Didsbury.
It now occupies an enviable site at the heart of the community, having been completely rebuilt in 2000.
Parrs Wood is proud of its place in the community. We believe that our strong links with local primary schools, further and higher education providers and local businesses are of significant benefit to our students.
Our facilities are second to none and include:
- extensive ICT facilities;
- purpose built specialist rooms for Technology, Science, Languages and Art;
- astro-turf, Sports Hall, Gymnasium, Dance and Fitness Suites;
- large auditorium and performance space;
- independent post-16 facilities;
- Parrs Wood House – an 18th Century listed building currently housing Music.
- Our status as a Technology College informs our aspirations for all learners to develop their team work, problem-solving and creative skills. The Technology department regularly organises whole-school `Immersion Days’.
Parrs Wood Sixth Form Centre
Whilst Parrs Wood Sixth Form Centre is part of Parrs Wood High School and occupies the same site, it has a distinctive ethos.
Many of our students join Parrs Wood Sixth Form Centre from Parrs Wood High School and many come from other institutions across Manchester and from neighbouring authorities.
Ofsted judged Parrs Wood Sixth Form to be good and particularly praised the `strong community spirit engendered’, `effective leadership’ and `strong care, guidance and support’.