The PowerPoint contains:
- An easy-to-understand introduction to the idea of 'inkhorn words' and why they arose
- Some examples of inkhorn words which didn't last
- A timed task for students to think about why there would be resistance to some of these words
- A look at the arguments for and against
- A sample text extract on the topic from the mid-1500s, for students to read and questions for them to answer
- The question of national identity and language
- Some inkhorn words which are still in use, for students to read and use
- Links between the Inkhorn Controversy and the Prescriptivist and Descriptivist schools of thought which followed (with a snippet from a modern Guardian headline which illustrates that controversy over language change is still current).
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.