As Art Subject Lead I created this glossary of art terminology/ extended vocabulary list to ensure that the children in my school had a broad range of vocabulary that could be used across the curriculum. I began with Year 1 and, based on National Curriculum progression documents, I compiled a list of vocabulary that the children should see, hear and be encouraged to use. I have added new vocabulary to deepen the children’s understanding and broaden their vocabulary for each year group. This can be seen in green.
This list can be used by:
- Subject Leaders as part of progression documents and curriculum for the school.
- Teachers as a planning scaffold and an assessment tool to ensure children have a broad art curriculum.
- Teachers to deepen their subject knowledge.
- Teachers and subject leaders to promote high standards in vocabulary across the curriculum.
- To ensure Art is linked to English and reading where possible.
- Pupils may find this resource useful as a check list in their sketchbooks at the beginning of each topic.
My school have used this grid this year and we have noticed a great improvement in the children’s understanding of art vocabulary in their speech and through their writing in English.