As Art Subject Lead I created this glossary of art terminology/ extended vocabulary list to ensure that the children in my school had a broad range of vocabulary that could be used across the curriculum. I began with Year 1 and, based on National Curriculum progression documents, I compiled a list of vocabulary that the children should see, hear and be encouraged to use. I have added new vocabulary to deepen the children’s understanding and broaden their vocabulary for each year group. This can be seen in green.
This list can be used by:
- Subject Leaders as part of progression documents and curriculum for the school.
- Teachers as a planning scaffold and an assessment tool to ensure children have a broad art curriculum.
- Teachers to deepen their subject knowledge.
- Teachers and subject leaders to promote high standards in vocabulary across the curriculum.
- To ensure Art is linked to English and reading where possible.
- Pupils may find this resource useful as a check list in their sketchbooks at the beginning of each topic.
My school have used this grid this year and we have noticed a great improvement in the children’s understanding of art vocabulary in their speech and through their writing in English.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.