A ready to use lesson plan that presents teaching and learning resources on article writing.
After completing this lesson, the students will be able to:
- Recall article writing techniques.
- Apply authorial technique to write articles.
- Analyse author’s use of language and the impact of it in writing an article.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of article in writing.
This download includes:
- Vocabulary Overview - Articles, Features, News Story
- Real Life Application and Cross-Curriculum Links
- Flipped Lesson Part - Videos
- Success Criteria - Article Writing Checklist
- Lesson Starter: Matching the topics with the titles.
- Article Writing Tips
- Structure of a Feature Article
- Features of a Feature Article
- Pair-Share: Analyzing a feature to spot the parts of an article.
- Think-Write: Providing the paragraphs with suitable topic sentences.
- Write-Share: Choosing a topic to write an article.
Mini-Plenary: 2 Online Quizzes
Differentiated Tasks: Demonstrating article writing skill.
Extensions: Writing prompts to write articles to health magazines.
Plenary: Answering multiple choice questions on article writing.
- Identifying the structural elements of a news story.
- Thinking of creative titles for the given short articles.
- Matching the given first paragraphs with the topic sentences.
- Thinking of an appropriate conclusion to given paragraphs.
Common Core Standards: ELA-Literacy-Writing - 6-8.1a-e/4/7
Skills: Social and Cognitive
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment