"Cater Pillars" and "Butter Flies:"
Language, Science, Math, and Art Plus Any Other Subjects That Can Be Added to This Fun Unit to Start the School Year
Introducing Specific Skills,
Collaborating with Peers,
Investigating and Researching Online,
and Including Family in Creating an Artifact for Display
Students will learn how to investigate a topic that involves multiple subject areas and gain understanding about the topic and how the various subjects covered relate to each other.
1. Students will learn how to research, investigate a topic using available resources individually, in pairs, and in groups.
2. Students will use skills in various subject areas to problem-solve, explain, calculate, and present materials to ask or answer questions or verify information.
3. Students will observe caterpillars and record changes as they go through metamorphosis.
4. Students will learn how to treat animals ethically during scientific observation and follow rules regarding the ethical treatment of animals involved in scientific experimentation.
5. Students will learn how to record and interpret scientific data.
6. Students will learn how to test scientific data and ask scientific questions about results and possibly create hypotheses for future study.
7. Students will learn how to create presentations of scientific study using technology, if possible. introduce this unit by having students read the following article on their tablets, laptops, or smart phones or in pairs or groups on school computers or smartboards. Note: if there's no available technology, create a power point presentation covering all of the points in the article and include the illustrations.