This comprehensive maths mastery planning for Reception will give your pupils lots of hands-on experience of breaking down and combining numbers in a range of contexts.
Updated for the September 2021 EYFS Statutory Framework and revised Development Matters (non-statutory) curriculum guidance.
Children will develop a deeper understanding of numbers to 10 as they explore the composition of these numbers, building a solid understanding of the concepts that underpin addition and subtraction as they get older.
Planning is provided for the Spring term of Reception for 3 weeks, including daily inputs, adult-led focus activities each week and wide range of engaging, independent activities that allow children to make choices with their own learning. Using story-telling and experimental play, they learn that numbers can be partitioned and combined and also secure their understanding of the word ‘equal’.
Importantly, children will build on previous subitising work and take their first steps as conceptual subitisers - something that makes them feel very clever!
This resource includes:
- A comprehensive planning document
- A suggested long-term maths mastery plan for Reception covering the Number and Numerical Patterns Early Learning Goals
- Key ideas and common misconceptions
- A focus activity each week
- A range of independent activities and notes on progression
- Question prompts for adults working with the children
- ‘Keep up’ support ideas
- Greater depth challenge ideas and suggested extensions
- A resource file for printing to support and extend the unit’s activities
- Six accompanying presentations
- Embedded opportunities to revisit prior learning
Visit the Early Maths Mastery shop on TES to explore further planning and resources for teaching maths mastery.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.