A ready to use lesson plan that presents teaching and learning resources on descriptive writing.
After completing this lesson, the students will be able to:
- Recall descriptive vocabulary for a descriptive writer.
- Acquire knowledge of descriptive techniques and imagery types.
- Analyse a descriptive paragraph for features.
- Demonstrate command of the conventions of description in writing.
This download includes:
- Vocabulary Overview - Description, Imagery
- Real Life Application and Cross-Curriculum Links - Science, Math, Social Studies
- Flipped Lesson Part - Videos
- Success Criteria - Descriptive Writing Checklist
- Lesson Starter: Writing descriptive words to describe images.
- Descriptive Writing Toolkit
- Imagery Types
- Lists of Adjectives and Adverbs
- Descriptive Chart for Descriptive Writer
- Pair-Share: Comparing two descriptions.
- Think-Write: Identifying descriptive techniques used in a description.
- Write-Share: Describing a picture using sensory language.
Mini-Plenary: 3 Online Exercises
Differentiated Tasks: Demonstrating the skill of description in writing.
Extensions: Using descriptive sample openers to come up with own descriptions.
Plenary: Answering multiple choice questions on descriptive writing.
- Circling descriptive words in the given passage.
- Describing the usefulness of any of the given man-made materials.
- Reading to write down examples of descriptive techniques.
- Identifying the sensory language used in the given passage.
- Reading the given description to notice examples of descriptive techniques.
Common Core Standards: ELA-Literacy-Writing - 6-8.3a-e
Skills: Social and Cognitive
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment