I have created fact sheets and worksheets based and adapted from DT unit 5D Biscuits. Some worksheets can be linked to Literacy (Fiction, Non-Fiction, Lists, Instructions, Story Telling).
Through this unit, children investigate different types of biscuits, find out the origins of gingerbread, try and compare different biscuit recipes before designing and making their own gingerbread house.
• Fact Sheet: UK’s Top 20 biscuits
• Story (passage) Hansel and Gretel
• Fact Sheet: the Gingerbread House; where does it come from?
• Recipes for: Plain Biscuits; Ginger Biscuits; Lebkuchen (traditional German recipe); Gingerbread House
• Gingerbread House Template
• Compare different types of biscuits in term of appearance, texture, smell and taste
• Poster (blank)
• Compare biscuit recipes in terms of appearance, texture, smell and taste
• Find out which biscuits children like best – graph
• Writing Instructions: write a recipe; describe stages for making a gingerbread house
• Story writing: Write a short paragraph that links to the story
• Draw a win-up toy and label the different parts of the mechanism
• Designing (part 1): illustrate idea and label different parts to show how the gingerbread house will look
• Designing (part 2): list materials and equipment
• Evaluation: evaluate own gingerbread house and make suggestions for improvement
Useful Tip! Use the PDF doc with your IWB to work through the pages with your children :)
Hope that you like and find them useful.
If you have any comments or recommendations to make, please do not hesitate to do so.
For updates go to my Facebook page – Marie’s Teaching Resources
Thanks for looking :)