This is a fully-resourced REVISION lesson that challenges the students on their knowledge of the content found in TOPIC 4 (Biodiversity and Natural resources) of the Edexcel A-level Biology (Salters Nuffield) specification. The lesson contains an engaging PowerPoint (104 slides) and accompanying worksheets that use a range of exam questions, differentiated tasks and quiz competitions to motivate the students whilst they evaluate their knowledge of the different sub-topics.
The lesson has been designed to cover as much of the topic 4 specification as possible, but the following sub-topics have been given particular attention:
- Three-domain classification
- The features of the kingdoms
- Evolutionary relationships
- Behavioural, anatomical and physiological adaptations
- Glycosidic bonds
- The structure and function of cellulose
- The ultrastructure of plant cells
- Calculating the index of diversity and the heterozygosity index
- Applying the Hardy-Weinberg principle to calculate allele frequencies
This lesson is suitable for revision at the end of the topic, in the lead up to the mocks or in the lead up to the actual A-level exams as topic 4 is assessed on both Paper 1 and Paper 2.