Do you operate a ‘mastery’ classroom? Do your students take too long to recognise the benefit of inverse operations between addition and subtraction facts, or worse, cannot recognise them at all? Look no further than this Fact Families: Fluency with Calculations booklet.
Note: This is the full pack for addition (Fact Families Addition Bundle) which has a total of 9 different sets, each with 5 different randomised PDFs, and each of those with an example, five questions and seperate answer pages.
The full pack includes:
- Upto 20+20
- Upto 50+50
- Upto 100+100
- Upto 200+200
- Upto 500+500
- Upto 999+999
- Decimal + Whole (Upto 20)
- Decimal + Decimal (Upto 20)
- Decimal + Decimal (Upto 100)
This resource has been developed through a proven research-based approach. The sessions each have an example set, and 5 follow up questions which helps children to build upon common techniques of calculation. All session use the same format, and provide colour coded visuals to help children make the links between the operations and their inverse.
For best results:
- Use the PDF file to create an small booklet;
- Teach the main strategy for each session using a whole class approach, and the example calculation provided;
- Use a 3-minute timer to allow children to complete the page;
- Allow children to call out their name when they have finished, and tell them their time;
- Allow children to call out the answers in order afterwards as you mark as a whole class, discussing any difficulties or interesting patterns;
- Allow children to discuss their strategies for each question;
- Allow children to create Bar models to represent their understanding of each question;
The power of this daily approach is truly remarkable, and will have your children recognising inverse operations to support calculation in no time. You will know your children have made good progress when they start recognising that 126 - 97 can be calculated by using 97 + ___ = 126. This is what the fact families are perfect for! Avoid those unnecessary exchanges in error-prone compact subtraction methods!
Also supplied is a full answers booklet for you to check students answers when they call them out.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.