This bundled close reading resource promotes thoughtful, critical analysis of several classic Grimms’ fairy tales, helping students focus on significant details to develop improved reading proficiency and contribute more meaningfully to class discussion. Each close reading assessment includes an answer key with detailed explanations for correct options. You will receive two versions of each individual item: a Word Document version and a PDF version.
This resource aligns well to Academic Literacy Project teaching principles. These worksheets serve well as the basis for small-group discussions. Through these discussions, students decode language and pose/respond to questions relating to plot, broad topics, and character development, demonstrating an ability to analyze how complex characters transform and advance the plot and themes by applying logic and citing compelling, meaningful textual evidence. They will also evaluate their peers’ reasoning and use of rhetoric to advance claims, clarifying or challenging unclear ideas. Using this resource for structured guidance, students, ultimately, will present information, conclusions, and supporting textual evidence clearly, concisely, and appropriately, thereby helping their peers – and teacher – comprehend their thinking.
Make reading more purposeful with these close reading activities to support students in their efforts to demonstrate the following:
- An ability to define complex vocabulary in context
- An ability to analyze context clues and draw logical inferences about character motivations
- An ability to analyze context clues and draw logical inferences about character relationships
- An ability to analyze the text for literary devices such as foreshadowing, situational irony, dramatic irony, theme, symbolism, dynamic character, and more
- An ability to find and articulate relevant textual details in support of a claim
- An ability to analyze context clues to discern and articulate the significance of a given detail
- An ability to articulate what the text indicates both explicitly and implicitly
- An ability to write with clarity and precision
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.