This activity pack contains 14 activities to explore the topic of Tropical Cyclones (which are also called cyclones, hurricanes and typhoons depending upon where you live in the world). They can be used as whole class activities, centre activities or individual activities. The activities strongly combine the science topic with reading skills and strategies. Many activities relate to the comprehension strategy of summarising. Some are also writing prompts. Some of them link to internet sites for technology use. A lot of the activities are in foldable format. Answers are included where appropriate. The only resources that are needed are some
texts or books on tropical cyclones which can include websites. Any activities that require a text or book can then be scaffolded to the appropriate level.
- Where do Tropical Cyclones occur? (labelling map activity)
- Diagram of a Tropical Cyclone (foldable labelling diagram with titles and descriptions)
- Safety Tips (foldable listing safety tips with diagrams from a website)
- Origin of Hurricane (writing prompt looking at the origin of the word)
- Naming a Tropical Cyclone (cloze looking at the process of naming cyclones)
- Hurricane Scale (foldable looking at the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale)
- How a Tropical Cyclone forms (foldable ordering descriptions on how it forms)
- Graffiti (activity to summarise what students have learnt about tropical cyclones)
- Cyclone Tracy (Y chart - looks, sounds and feels like after watching video)
- Create a Tropical Cyclone (worksheet for interactive web activity)
- Are you prepared? (worksheet for web activity on preparing for tropical cyclone)
- $2 Summary (summarising worksheet article about tropical cyclones)
- Cyclone in a bottle (instructions and worksheet for bottle experiment)
- Tropical Cyclone Vocabulary Foldable (foldable with vocabulary words and definitions)
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.