This resource bundle aligns with the Key Ideas and Details standards of the Common Core State Standards for Grade 5 Reading: Informational Text. We have combined three of our playlists—content-rich tools that use trusted textual, audio, visual, and multimedia resources to supplement high-quality instruction in specific elements of the Common Core—to guide students through each of the relevant standards for this strand of English Language Arts. Each playlist is designed for 30–45 minutes of instructional time and is followed by a rigorous self-check for students. Alternatively you could assign individual student playlists as homework or remedial/extension activities.
The bundle includes additional passages on which students can practice their reading skills, including the ability to quote accurately from a text; to determine two or more main ideas of a text; and to explain the relationships between individuals, events, ideas, or concepts in a variety of texts. Stepped-out examples and hyperlinks to videos, graphic organizers, and other activities further support instruction.
The Student Editions include:
• 10 links to instructional videos, audio, or texts
• 7 links to practice quizzes or activities
• 3 assessments that include 14 multiple choice questions
• Definitions of key terms, such as inference, key details, and technical text
• Examples of how students can apply the standards to their reading and deepen their understanding of what they are reading
• Excerpts from several high-quality texts, including passages about: NASA and space exploration, caves, wild animals, school uniforms, Helen Keller, and the Underground Railroad
The Teacher Guides include:
• Additional activities to help your students explore the standard
• Links to 9 additional resources
• Ideas to differentiate the activities for students who need extra support or to be challenged further
• Answer guides with correct answers, answer choice rationales, word counts, and DOK levels