The Island of the Blue Dolphins is a Newbery Medal winning historical fiction based on the true life of a young girl who was stranded on a deserted island for eighteen years. This book is an outstanding story of survival and adventure. With its strong themes of peace, determination, and forgiveness your students will find this novel irresistible.
This unit contains twenty nine pages of comprehension questions, a research pocket folder, and an island art project.
Included in this novel study are:
29 Pages of Comprehension Questions with an Answer Key
Research Pocket Folder: Three Focus Areas
1. The True Story Behind the Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Background Information on Juana Maria, the Lone Woman of
San Nicolas Island
- Photograph of Karana (Juana Maria)
- Map and Photograph of San Nicolas Island
- Discovery of Juana Maria
- Life after Being Rescued
- Death of Juana Maria
2. Life on the San Nicolas Island
* The Island of the Blue Dolphins Picture Dictionary - 12 Page
* Letter to Ulape – Writing Activity
3. My “Ohana” Island Art Project
- Ohana is Hawaiian for family.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.