NEW AND IMPROVED - NOW WITH 10 ACTIVITIES IN TWO DESIGNS
Do your children need practice solving problems and puzzles? Do you need activities that specifically practise the areas of mathematics that often get neglected in our jam-packed curriculum? Then look no further than this ‘Start the Day’ activity pack involving compass directions and code-cracking.
In this pack, there are 10 similar activities (each with teacher answers) in both PDF form and PowerPoint for easy sharing with your children on an interactive whiteboard.
The activity is designed to encourage children to work systematically to find the correct route through the safe code to reach the key at the centre. Each button tells them how many spaces to move (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6) and in which direction (North, East, South or West).
Tips on how to deliver these activities:
- On the first occasion you use these activities, allow children a free run at solving the puzzle, perhaps with some very minor discussion around the compass directions;
- Allow children to talk through their strategies for finding solutions, encouraging pupil voice in both paired and whole-class discussions;
- If necessary (some children won’t find a way to solve the problem without a system), share a way to work backwards. For example, there is only one button which links to the key. Can we find it? There is only one button that links to that button (the one we just used to get to the key). Can we find it? Etc;
- Encourage children to think about what they did to make the problem smaller;
- Ask children how they could adapt the puzzle to make it easier, or more challenging (for example through fewer rows or columns, or through adding diagonal movements in the instructions - NE, SE, SW, NW);
- Use one activity per week over a half term to encourage regular revisiting of the content (directions) and strategies (working backwards);
- Have children create their own versions and send them to us to challenge our followers - Twitter: @UKExceED
Get this resource as part of a bundle and save up to 38%
A bundle is a package of resources grouped together to teach a particular topic, or a series of lessons, in one place.
Maths Reasoning 'Start the Day' Bundle 2
A collection of 35 ‘Start the Day’ activities to support your children’s mathematics reasoning and problem solving skills whilst also developing their fluency in addition, subtraction, multiplication, properties of number, algebra, statistics and even compass directions.
Maths Reasoning 'Start the Day' Bundle
A collection of 20 'Start the Day' activities to support your children's mathematics reasoning and problem solving skills whilst also developing their fluency in addition, subtraction, algebra and even compass directions.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.