This resource focuses on repeated patterns using Christmas patterns and shapes.
Aimed at: Reception/Keystage 1, ESL/EFL students.
There is a 4 page Teacher’s Notes on this one-off lesson which you can choose to make it last throughout the whole morning or afternoon or 1 hour session.
- PowerPoint Presentation (10 Slides) - Include whole class activities, examples of repeated Christmas patterns, in the Presentation children are asked where they have seen repeated patterns of pictures - they may mention their wallpaper at home, car seat covers, on printed clothes (e.g. socks) etc.
- Differentiated Activity Sheets 1 and 2 - Complete the sequence of pictures
- Activity Sheet 1b – Pictures to cut out to complete Activity Sheets
- Blank Repeating Patterns Worksheets to create own repeating pattern
- Extension Patterns Worksheet
- Extension Christmas Shapes
A one-off lesson for children to explore repeating patterns in the context of Christmas.
-The lesson should last 50 mins to 1 hour depending on how long your students take to design their patterns:
-Introduction to set the scene: 10-15mins;
-Main Lesson 15-20 mins;
-Consolidation of lesson (work at table): 20 mins; and
-Plenary/Closing session 5-10mins.
Bring in some Christmas wrapping paper with repeated patterns of pictures and/or shapes or you can display Slide 1 showing examples of Christmas patterns.
The children will have been wrapping presents or looking at wrapped presents. Focus their attention on the patterns.
This lesson takes children through looking at simple picture patterns and working out the next picture in the sequence.
Opportunity for children to create their own repeated patterns by cutting and pasting pictures - using pictures on Activity Sheet 1b
Opportunity to create a whole sheet of repeated patterns and pictures/shapes to show to the whole class in the plenary- Extensions Pattern Worksheet.
ICT Link - The more competent computer users can create colour filled shapes to produce an A4 sheet design of repeated patterns to show the rest of the class and explain what they did on the computer.
Hope the children find this lesson fun.
Thank you for your interest.
You may also be interested in:
2D Shapes Repeated Patterns, Colour Presentation, Worksheet, Cut and paste activities and Lesson Plan
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.