Two thematic units.
Unit 1. Las culturas indígenas
Although only parts of the Maya and Aztec script have been deciphered, we can learn a great deal about other cultures from their sculptures, drawings and architecture. My students analyzed the picture that is included in the units, the stone statue of a mother with her children and were able to figure out information about foods they ate, the clothes they wore and child rearing. Deductive reasoning at its best.
Unit 2. Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros
These Mexican muralists are world renown. Introduce your students to some paintings and link the painters to Frida Kahlo, the wife of Diego Rivera. All teachers like this subject. The students will like it just as much. The picture of Frida lying in her bed was an excellent discussion catalyst in my class.
You can click on Preview and read both units. Please note that I include an overview page so you can see the theme, vocabulary, grammar and homework in detail.
1. Subject matter: how to read the Maya hieroglyphics; Mexican art
2. Vocabulary: nouns and verbs related to cultures of the Americas; art
3. Grammar: gender / prepositions
4. Oral practice: student plays role of archaeologist; analysis of a Frida Kahlo painting
5. Homework: research indigenous culture
6. Internet: Key word list to facilitate a search
7. Answer key
ALSO AVAILABLE IN AN "ARTS BUNDLE" THAT INCLUDES:
1. Goya / Gaudí / Rodrigo; 3 interdisciplinary thematic units - SP Beginners 1
2. Cervantes and Sor Juana / Picasso / Felipe VI; 3 thematic units - SP Beginners 1
3. Rivera, Orozco, Siqueiros / Indigenous cultures: 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 1
4. Fernando Botero / Cartega de Indias; 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 1
5. Las Meninas / Felipe II; 2 thematic units - SP Intermediate 2
(You get ALL five for the price of four)