This is a simple sensory and massage story based around the Seaside.
It is in a Publisher format, so it can be easily adapted and then printed for laminating.
This has been designed for small groups of pupils with severe and profound and multiple learning difficulties.
Key learning aims include:
- Understanding of the World (using real world objects, such as sand and water)
- Developing self-esteem (through touch)
- Multi-sensory processing (engaging all of the senses)
- Developing sense of rhythm and early literacy (use of story-telling and music)
- Anticipation (learning what comes next, waiting, taking-turns)
This can easily be adapted for different pupils of different ages. Take plenty of time on each section of the story. Allow time and space for pupils to process the stimuli and respond. It’s wonderful to see how tactile-defensive pupils can become braver and more confident when they’re given plenty of time and space, free from judgment and expectation. I’d recommend using this for a whole term, because it can sometimes take that long for the learning to happen (e.g. it may take weeks before a learner is willing to put their feet into a tray of sand).
Light-boxes (place some battery-powered lights and shiny paper into a small box. Lift the lid slowly to build anticipation)