A lesson presentation that presents teaching and learning resources on Shakespearean and Miltonic Sonnets.
After completing this lesson, the students will be able to:
- List sonnet types and their features.
- Analyse the structure of a sonnet.
- Compare and contrast Shakespearean Sonnets with Miltonic.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of sonnets in writing.
This Resource includes:
- Real Life Application and Cross-Curriculum Links
- Flipped Lesson Part - Videos on Sonnets
- Success Criteria - Sonnets Checklist
Lesson Starter: Vocabulary Check
- Sonnet Types
- Structure of Shakespearean Sonnet
- Structure of Miltonic Sonnet
- Pair-Share: Identifying the structure of given Shakespearean Sonnet.
- Ask-Write: Identifying the structure of given Miltonic Sonnet.
- Write-Advance: Comparing Shakespearean and Miltonic Sonnets.
Mini-Plenary: 4 Online Quizzes
Differentiated Tasks: 4 Activities
Extensions: Comprehending a Shakespearean Prologue.
Plenary: Testing student understanding of sonnets.
- Reading sonnets to answer challenging questions.
- Paraphrasing sonnets.
- Providing modern text to sonnets.
Common Core Standards: ELA-Literacy-RL.9-10.9/11-12.4/7
Skills: Social and Cognitive
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment