A lesson presentation that presents teaching and learning resources on summary writing.
After completing this lesson, the students will be able to:
- Recognize and list the key techniques of a summary.
- Use skim, scan and close read skills to highlight key ideas.
- Select and organize text relevant to the context.
- Demonstrate understanding of writing a coherent summary using appropriate connectives effectively.
This Resource includes:
- Vocabulary Overview - Summary
- Real Life Application and Cross-Curriculum Links
- Flipped Lesson Part - Videos and Websites
- Success Criteria - Summarizing Checklist
Lesson Starter: Summarizing the nursery rhymes.
- Bands/Marks for Summary Style and Quality of Writing
- 5 Finger Retell
- 8 Easy Steps of Summarizing
- Pair-Share: Evaluating the summaries.
- Think-Write: Identifying the summary elements of a text.
- Write-Share: Identifying the summary elements of a story.
Mini-Plenary: 4 Online Quizzes
Differentiated Tasks: Summarizing the given topic.
Extensions: Cube Curator, Haiku Poem
Plenary: Selecting a phrase that best summarizes the given extract.
- Preparing questions based on main idea and details of a summary.
- Summarizing by describing details 1, 2, and 3.
- Underlining key ideas, and summarizing in 25 words.
- Converting summaries into detailed stories.
Common Core Standards: ELA-Literacy-Writing - 6-8.2b-f
Skills: Social and Cognitive
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment