Two thematic units. Interdisciplinary. Content based. CI.
Unit 1. ¿Es la marimba un instrumento latinoamericano?
The New World has welcomed people, animals, objects and ideas from many continents. Take the marimba. This instrument combines African, European and indigenous elements. Is the marimba Guatemalan? Of course it is. The example I give for the United States is jazz: it is played on both European and African instruments, it has an African beat and it began in the United States. The students understand how so many elements are needed to make something entirely new. Make those grey cells work!! I had fun writing this and teaching it.
Unit 2. El transporte: Honduras
Everyone has an opinion on transportation, cars, buses, trains, airplanes. In Central America the bus is the most common form of transportation but the unit deals with other means of transportation as well. And since transportation is similar in the various countries of the region, there is information about those countries too. In writing this I thought it sounded deadly boring. Trust me, it is not. Click on Preview and read both units.
1. Subject matter: music, historical background; general information
2. Vocabulary: rural and urban population; various means of transportation
3. Grammar: agreement; por and para
4. Oral practice: jazz; buses
5. Homework: students own musical interest; trips, food
6. Internet: Key word list to facilitate a search
7. Answer key
Click on Preview and check it out.