A card game to develop HOTS (Higher Order Thinking Skills) using climate change in the Alps. Learners
discuss whether a fictional ski instructor should exchange his skis for bicycle wheels. Included in this
guide is ‘Meet the Scientists’, about the real climate scientists. For learners aged 11 to 14.
Educational Level 2 - 3
(SOC 2-12a, SOC 2-13a, SOC 2-14a, SCN 2-20b, SCN 2-20a, MLAN 2-09a, LIT 2-02a, LIT 2-08a, LIT 2-09a)
This resource includes:
- A practitioner guide (PDF and Word versions)
- Details about learning outcomes
- Instructions on running the activities
- Items to be printed off or photocopied to play the game
- A Meet the Scientists section about the real climate scientists who are Richard Fromm, Jack
- Schaeffer and Viktoria Engel.
- Map board for playing the game on
- Presentation 1: Setting the Scene: an introduction to Germany, its language and Richard’s
- Presentation 2: “Where is that place?” - Map skills
- Presentation 3: How to play the Board Game Help Richard decide if he should exchange his
- skis for bicycle wheels.
This resource was created as part of the School of GeoScience Outreach.
Author: Kay Douglas.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is released under a CC BY 4.0 license.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This was a fantastic resource. I used it with my S1 class and they were totally engaged in it. The resource is highly interdisciplinary with aspects of Science/climate change, the geography of Germany, language skills, skills associated with selecting information and presenting arguments to name but a few. I will definitely use this again in the future and next time try to involve other departments in the school!
Thank you so much for your feedback. It's excellent to hear this is proving to be such a valuable resource. :)
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.