This set of lesson plans, resources, and activities is for use with “When I Am Old with You” by Angela Johnson. It can be used for whole group, small group, and independent instruction – which makes these resources a smart choice for literacy centers or Reader’s Workshop.
Here’s What You’ll Get and Why:
My goal was to make it easy to teach readers how to think about “When I Am Old with You” using a variety of comprehension strategies. That’s why I’ve included page by page lesson plans, guided practice worksheets, and text specific reader’s notebook prompts for the following strategies:
- Determining Importance
- Asking Questions
- Understanding Text Structure
I also created an Extension Activity for early finishers.
Next, I find that vocabulary instruction works best when it’s done within the context of books that students are already reading. That’s why I’ve included the following vocabulary resources:
- Vocabulary Word List
- Flash Cards (match words to pictures and match words to definitions)
- Interactive Vocabulary Notebook Cards
- Vocabulary Word Games Printable
- Personal Vocabulary Word Bookmark
I’ve also included a word study lesson plan and set of activities, because, much like vocabulary, I find that word study works best within context. As a result, I have identified word patterns within trade books and have developed lesson plans and resources based on the word study that can be done with specific books. The lesson plan and set of resources for “When I Am Old with You” focuses on Short Vowel Sound /a/ and includes the following:
- Lesson Plan
- Interactive Activity
- Practice Page
- Independent Word Work
This set of resources also includes the following:
- Running Record Assessment
- Common Core Aligned Comprehension Assessment
- Answer Keys
- Common Core State Standard Alignment
- BONUS: Surprise Sample Resource
- Spanish translation of the comprehension strategy practice pages, reader’s notebook prompts (complete with Spanish Common Core “I Can” statements), and extension activities for use with “When I Am Old with You”
I hope that you will enjoy using my resources along with your copy or copies of “When I Am Old with You” by Angela Johnson.
If you have any questions about the resources included in this set please email me at AmyMackenzie@BookPagez.com. It will be my pleasure to reply and help you in any way I can.