This resource includes five wizard/magic themed activities introducing 5 different concepts (Chemical Reactions, Density, Solids and Liquids, Logic and Languages) to second level students. For each activity session there is the Es &Os, a list of equipment and materials, the aim of the activity, an explanation of the activity and suggestions for extending the activity. We strongly recommend teachers try out the activity before asking the students to do them.
- Chemical changes
- SCN 2-19a: I have collaborated in activities which safely demonstrate simple chemical reactions using everyday chemicals. I can show an appreciation of a chemical reaction as being a change in which different materials are made.
- Properties and uses of substances
- SCN 2-15a: by contributing to investigations into familiar changes in substances to produce other substances, I can describe how their characteristics have changed.
- **Processes of the planet **
- SCN 2-05a: I can apply my knowledge of how water changes state to help me understand the processes involved in the water cycle in nature over time.
- MTH 2-12a: I have worked with others to explore and present our findings on, how mathematics impacts on the world and the important part it has played in advances and inventions.
- MLAN 2-11b: I can make comparisons and explore connections between spelling patterns in English and the language I am learning.
- MLAN 2-11d: I can recognise and comment on other features of my own language which help to make sense of words in the language I am learning.
This resource bundle includes pdf and editable versions of the following:
• Activity plans;
Potion 1: Explosion Potion
Potion 2: Magic Liquids
Potion 3: Slimy Potion
• Documents Included:
Activity Sheets, with a beginners and advanced version for the Latin Spells activity.
A teacher’s guide to delivering the activities (including the answers for the worksheets).
A risk assessment for teachers to complete.
Optional introductory letter for the participants available in black and white.
Optional certificate for the participants available in black and white and full colour.
This resource was created as part of the GeoScience Outreach Course which is a fourth year undergraduate course in the School of GeoSciences aiming to provide students with the opportunity to develop their own science communication and engagement project.
This resource was originally developed for the holiday club at St Francis’ RC Primary School
To find more Open Educational Resources from the University of Edinburgh, visit open.ed.ac.uk.
Author: Jennifer Struthers, adapted by Alysha Wilson. Co-authored by Kay Douglas and Alysha Wilson.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is released under a CC BY 4.0 license.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have downloaded this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.