AQA GCSE English Literature Power and Conflict Poetry – Exam Preparation - A Comparative Answer on Percy Bysshe Shelley’s ‘Ozymandias’ and Wilfred Owen’s ‘Exposure’.
This resource is designed to help you prepare your class to answer a GCSE English Literature question on AQA Power and Conflict Poetry. It is NOT intended to teach students the poems themselves – students should already be familiar with the two poems used within. It is designed for you to use later in the school year when the poetry has been fully covered and the students need to learn how to use this knowledge to write the best possible exam answers.
There are five elements included:
1. Answering AQA Power and Conflict Poetry Questions: this 32-slide Powerpoint presentation is the core of this group of resources and has been designed to help you guide your class through the essay writing process. It examines each of the following elements: the AOs and the Mark Scheme, exam timing and weighting, essay structure, how to write an introduction, using ‘rough notes’ for planning, contents of the main body and how to write a conclusion. Most importantly, it features many extracts from the sample exam answer which are annotated to show the importance of using subject terminology, precise and judicious quotes and comparative links.
2. Power and Conflict Sample Answers – this 800-word sample answer to the question is presented in two formats. The first is a one-page A4 handout of the essay itself. The second is a two-page A4 handout with wider margins and more generous spacing – this allows ample space for annotation. I would suggest copying this onto an A3 sheet – I’ve used it very effectively with pairs of students using different colour markers to highlight the various AOs, the subject terminology, comparative terms, precise quotes etc.
3. Power and Conflict Sample Planning Grid – one-page A4 handout which shows the students how to use ‘rough notes’.
4. Planning Grid Template – a blank Planning Grid which students can use to plan their own essays.
5. Power and Conflict AOs – one-page A4 handout which explains the AOs to students.
Other AQA Poetry Resources:
12 Sample Exam Questions AND a fun pack of activities for revision
12 Sample Exam Questions AND Presentation and Worksheets comparing two poems
12 Sample Exam Questions