This resource is designed to be used when teaching students at both GCSE and A Level VB.net/Visual Basic as a unit of work. The resource is a series of detailed information and examples, followed by a number of exercises which are student led. These exercises can be carried out either as a class or by the individual in their own time; as a result, this resource is self-differentiated. The point of the work booklet is to break the language down and teach the basics a step at a time, it also serves as an excellent revision booklet for those student sitting any A-Level computer-based coding exam in VB.net or for students who wish to carry out projects in VB.net at both GCSE and A-Level.
The resource could very easily fill two whole terms of lessons if required as it is a very comprehensive document. This resource could be used more selectively, focusing only the areas you wish to skill students in.
The book is designed for those teaching VB.net at GCSE or A Level as mentioned, but can be used by individuals wanting to learn the programming language as an independent learn or as part of a CPD program for teaching staff.
The resource is well written and put together and includes a full appendix at the end to aid in users with complex vocabulary.
The topics in the work booklet include:
• Introduction to programming.
• Your First Program (Writeline and Readline)
• All about Variables - (Declaring a variable in VB, Getting a value into a variable, Using a variable in a program, Printing out a variable, Exercises)
• Commenting Code
• The Selection statements (If and Select) – (The If Statement, If Statement Exercises, The Case Statement, Case, What Else? Case Sensitive Case’s? Case Statement Exercises)
• The Repetition Statements – (The FOR loop, Exercises, The WHILE loop, Exercises)
• Arrays – (Using the array, Arrays and for Loops, Array exercises)
• String Theory – (String Compare, String Functions Exercises)
• Sub Procedures and Functions- (A Sub Procedure, the example, Functions, the example, Extra Points, The Recursive function, Sub Procedure/Function Exercises)
• Global and Local Variables – (Global VS Local, Global and Local Variable Exercises)
• Working with Files – (Filestream, StreamReader/StreamWriter. The Example, Exercises
• Programming with Forms
• APPENDIX – List of Operators