In this 13 Week Program on the food in Australia and the Australian Identity students get to cook with bush tucker and learn about the various native fruits vegetables and protein sources available in the Australian Outback.
Printable in word format. Easily adjustable for younger years.
Addresses the following learning outcomes:
5.2.2 accounts for changes to the properties of food which occur during food processing, preparation and storage
5.3.2 justifies food choices by analysing the factors that influence eating habits
5.4.2 communicates ideas and information using a range of media and appropriate terminology
5.5.1 selects and employs appropriate techniques and equipment for a variety of food-specific purposes
5.5.2 plans, prepares, presents and evaluates food solutions for specific purposes
5.6.1 examines the relationship between food, technology and society
The students will learn about:
· use of foods native to Australia
· early European influences including - diet of early Europeans and introduction of new foods to Australia
· causes of food deterioration and spoilage - microbial activity, enzymic changes, physical and chemical reactions, environmental factors
· principles of food preservation and storage - moisture levels, addition of chemicals, temperature, pH level, oxygen
· multicultural influences including - effects of immigration on lifestyle and food habits, types of foods and flavourings and preparation techniques and cooking methods
· evolution of an Australian cuisine
· influences on food selection including – physiological, psychological, geographical (topography/climate), social, economic, technological, religious
· factors affecting current consumption patterns including – social, economic, nutritional, environmental, media/advertising
· food packaging - forms/materials, functions, technological developments such as barrier, active, vacuum and gas, environmental impact
· labelling/legal requirements - nutrition labelling, health claims, legal requirements
· labelling symbols such as Glycaemic Index and Healthy Heart tick
I look forward to hearing how it went with your class. This unit has been popular with mine. Sometimes I adjust it to suit my students and their likes. I look forward to hearing how you found it.
If you enjoyed this resource you will love this