Poetry can be overwhelming to teach and even more frustrating for students. Use this resource to excite your students about poetry analysis. Share the poetic devices, how to analyze poems, and make it as engaging as possible helping students develop their poetry notebooks. You can use the poetry lesson plans, go page by page from beginning to end, or hop around.
1. Use the Lesson Planning Pages
2. Give students copies to make their We HEART Poetry Notebook
3. Use the poetic device pages for student notes
4. Have students analyze the poems using the “How to Analyze a Poem” Notes and “Questions I Can Answer”
5. Navigate each of the poems with students to enhance understanding of poetry or allow students work independently, with partners, small groups to read and analyze each of the poems and then go over their analysis together in order to gauge their progress with understanding poetry.