- The title of the lesson, ‘Did the Raj Rock?’ attempts to look at the positive and negative aspects to British rule in India.
- The opening slides introduce both sides of the argument from the views of modern historians to those at the time such as Cecil Rhodes, with a video link setting the scene for British rule in India and a thinking quilt to challenge students.
- Students must gather and analyse the evidence to make their own decisions. There are some positive aspects to British rule shown such as the building of railways, the provision of education and the introduction of law and order in the country. But at the same time a lack of sympathy for traditional customs and religious beliefs, an inadequacy of Indians in Government and the promotion of British wealth and power above all else will give students a lot of food for thought.
- In the plenary, students will rate how good an Empress Queen Victoria actually was.
- The lesson comes with suggested teaching and learning strategies and are linked to the latest historical interpretations, video clips and debate. The lessons are fully adaptable in PowerPoint format and can be changed to suit.
- Please visit my shop where I have created further resources on the British Empire including a bundle of lessons which can be found here: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/the-british-empire-11638487
- If you like this resource, please review it and choose any of my resources worth up to £3 for free: https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/PilgrimHistory
About this resource
Report a problem