2 Lesson bundle covering the OCR Periodic Table Chapter on group 2 elements and compounds
Lesson 1: Group 2 Elements: Properties & Redox Reactions.
By the end of this lesson. Students should be able:
- To know group 2 elements lose their outer shell s2 electrons to form +2 ions
- To state and explain the trend in first and second ionisation energies of group 2 elements and how this links to their relative reactivities with oxygen, water and dilute acids
- To onstruct half equations of redox reactions of group 2 elements with oxygen, water and dilute acids and to identify what species have been oxidised and reduced using oxidation numbers
Lesson 2: Group 2 Compounds.
By the end of this lesson students should be able to:
- To know the reaction between group 2 metal oxides and water
- To state the trend in solubility and alkalinity of group 2 metal hydroxides
- To describe the uses of some group 2 compounds including their equations
The teacher will be able to check students have met these learning objectives through mini AfL tasks for students to complete