This photosynthesis lesson bundle is taught using the 5E approach to give a more complete learning opportunity for students. This resource looks in detail at how photosynthesis works, how it’s essential for life and its connection to cellular respiration. The 5E approach is yet another way to cover important science topics in an engaging and meaningful way.
Throughout this 5E lesson, students will learn:
• Why photosynthesis is essential to life
• How photosynthesis works
• The light and dark reactions
• About chloroplasts and pigments
• How photosynthesis and cellular respiration connects
• About the protein RuBisCo and it’s importance
What’s included in the 5E’s?
- Students will begin by watching a short video and then answer a few questions to get them engaged in the topic
- Students use and develop creative thinking skills, make observations, record results, and make connections by completing a 7-station Lab Activity where they will gain real experiences with the topic
- A lesson in PowerPoint and .PDF formats.
- Students expand their thinking and knowledge of the topic while completing a reading article titled "RuBisCO - The Most Important Protein on Earth"
How does the 5E model facilitate learning?
• It emphasizes inquiry, critical thinking, and the process of science
• Its success is backed by countless scientific studies that demonstrate its effectiveness
• It’s built around the idea that humans construct knowledge and meaning from their learning experiences. That they build upon their prior knowledge and to be effective, learning needs to be active and allow the participants to construct new knowledge from their experiences