This resource contains a fully editable and informative 90-slide PowerPoint presentation on the Olympic Games. The PowerPoint focuses on:
• How the Olympics began in Ancient Greece and why they were held. The events that took place.
• The banning of the games by the Roman Emperor, Theodosius I.
• The revival of the games by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1896 and the forming of the Olympic Committee.
• The Olympic logo - the rings and their significance. The origins of, and the inspiration for, the ‘Olympic Creed’ and the ‘Olympic Motto - ’ Cistius, Fortius, Altius’.
• The New Olympic Games in Athens - the events (which included the tug of war) and competitors, the medals- silver and copper. The absence of women from the first games.
• The inclusion of women for the first time in the Olympic Games in the 1900 Paris Olympic Games.
•The sports in the Summer Olympic programme
• Notable Olympic achievements - Usain Bolt’s Olympic records in 100 and 200 metres, Michael Phelps - the most ‘decorated’ Olympian with 22 Olympic medals, 18 of which are gold and Bob Beaman’s’ longest standing’ Olympic record for the long jump.
• Interesting facts - the missing Japanese marathon runner who completed the marathon in 54 years, 8 months, 6 days, 5 hours, 32 minutes and 20.379 seconds! The longest ever wrestling match lasting 11 hours and 40 minutes .
The PowerPoint also contains hyperlinks to videos of:
- Usain Bolt’s Olympic record-breaking 100-metre race in London 2012
- Bob Beaman’s long jump
- Dick Fosbury’s high jump technique, the Fosbury Flop’ which revolutionised the high jump.