Sri KDU International School
About Sri KDU International School
SCHOOL ETHOS, CURRICULUM AND PEDAGOGY
With the Sri KDU® International School (SKIS) philosophy that “every child matters” our year-based pastoral system with Form Tutors and Year Leaders is designed so that every child in the school has an academic mentor and a pastoral champion who ensures that they achieve their best in all areas.
We have a qualified and experienced Sixth Form Team to give guidance about University Entrance and we start this guidance early – making option choices for IGCSE in Year 9. We support students with UCAS applications and writing personal statements.
We offer the full National Curriculum of England for Year 1 to 9 as well as the Cambridge IGCSE (Year 10 and Year 11) and IBDP (Year 12 and Year 13). All subjects are compulsory until the end of Year 9; the school is well equipped to deliver high quality lessons in practical subjects such as Art, Design Technology, Music, Drama and PE as well as the usual academic subjects. We encourage students to choose a broad and balanced curriculum for IGCSE so that they can achieve the overarching ICE Diploma.
In our very small primary section (12) classes per academic year), the curriculum is delivered by 100% expatriate teachers in the thematic way expected in the UK. Even in the primary school, our pedagogy, which is based on the “Learning Power Approach” encourages leadership and independent learning. This is a “golden thread” throughout all levels of the school.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE AND ACCREDITATION
· We are a fully accredited Cambridge Assessment International Education (CAIE) examinations centre which achieved 100% compliance from an unscheduled Cambridge inspection
· We are an International Baccalaureate (IB) world school and offer the IBDP at Sixth Form level
· We are a member of the Federation of British International School in Asia (FOBISIA) after a rigorous inspection in October 2016
· We won the WWF Eco-School Programme Green Flag from sustainable environment efforts following an assessment in December 2016
· We achieved the International School Quality Mark (ISQM) Gold Accreditation from Education Development Trust United Kingdom, judged at outstanding at all eight standards and becoming the first school in Malaysia to do so at Gold Accreditation
The Campus Education Mission:
“Transforming lives through education.”
“To become the most successful, most trusted and most innovative K-12 education group in South East Asia.”
Working Culture (A.C.A.C.I.A.) to achieve the mission and vision:
· Agility – Maximising opportunities by quickly adapting, innovating & being fluid
· Customer Centrism – Exceeding customer expectations by being open, observant and responsive
· Agency – Delivering outcomes by taking responsibility, being proactive and acting
· Collaboration – Realising synergies by thinking, sharing and working together
· Intelligence – Making right decisions by leveraging data, technology and brainpower
· Audacity – Achieving extraordinary results by being courageously ambitious
Moral Compass (W.A.D.I.):
· Well-being – Ensuring that the health and safety of our students and staff are always safe-guarded
· Academic Quality – Ensuring that real learning and growth takes place in our schools and centres
· Dignity – Ensuring all students, families and colleagues are treated with respect and compassion
· Integrity – Ensuring that in all our words and actions we are sincere, honest and transparent
The Sri KDU International School aspiration is:
“To be the best international school in the world”
The Sri KDU Schools’ Motto is:
“Malaysian Hearts, Global Minds”
Although the school is international in curriculum, the majority of students who attend the school are Malaysian, thus it is important that we nurture their “Malaysian Hearts” as well as developing their “Global Minds” as befits an international approach. It is also important for all members of the SKIS community who are not Malaysian by nationality to understand what a “Malaysian Heart” is. We nurture the “Malaysian Heart” in many ways from playing the National Anthem in Assemblies to celebrating Malaysia Day with a special assembly. All students study Bahasa Malaysia, the values of Malaysia through Moral Studies (PSHLE) or the values of Islam through Islamic Studies as well as studying Malaysian History through special projects. The “global minds” of the students are developed through the international curriculum as well as through many different partnerships across the world, including through FOBISIA and the People-to-People-International Chapter.
The Sri KDU International School motto is:
“Tomorrow’s Leaders: Here and Now”
The student body of SKIS is made up of those who will be the future leaders of Malaysia and internationally; the school was founded as part of the nation building for Malaysia. As such, it is essential that the leadership skills and character of our students is built up from Year 1- Year 13, so that they can be the type of leaders that Malaysia and the world needs to promote peace, stability and success for all. The leadership ethos of the school is supported by the Learning Power Approach and the LPA values which are a golden thread running throughout all aspects of the school.. We embed the LPA values into the school through Assemblies, the PHSLE programme, Form Time and the curriculum. There are also many opportunities for students to develop character and display leadership through the Prefect System, the House System, CCL Activities, student-led events such as The Paramount Championships and, of course, in their day-to-day learning through the active pedagogy we promote.