This task falls right in the middle of Awesome, Fun, and Math! Students each work independently on their own worksheet, solving for the mean, median or mode for a given list of values, yet they work collaboratively to create a whole-class Easter Bunny mosaic when the work is all done!
Every one of the 24 worksheets has a unique set of problems, yet follows the same order of problem-type! You can confidently have students work together without cheating. Expect to hear good peer-to-peer math conversation and teaching.
• Calculate mean value - includes negative values in the list
• Determine the median value - includes cases with both odd and even number of values, (requiring students to average the two middle values). Students must first order the values (good integer practice.)
• Determine the Mode - All sets of values are unimodal (no bimodal, or no mode cases, etc.)
• All answers, and values in the lists, are integers
• pdf and docx file versions of the class set of the 24 worksheets/colouring grids
• Complete answer keys giving the colour and numeric answer for all problems on every worksheet.
• Students' worksheets have a randomized answer list at the bottom so they can monitor their own understanding.
• A Teaching Tips page, for smooth implementation of this task
The student buy-in factor is HUGE with these worksheets
Encourage students to check their answers by finding them in the randomized list on their worksheet before they colour each square.
All my “Colouring by…” worksheets use standard pencil-crayon colours found in the Crayola 24 pack. For best results, use the exact colour name match (and encourage quality colouring!). Perhaps a class set of pencil crayons would be a fun math department investment!
Feedback, suggestions, and frontline stories are much appreciated!!
Thanks for checking this out!