A comprehensive set of lesson plans for a first/second gymnastics unit, most appropriate for KS3 or KS4. The unit covers skills pupils will need to create their own pair gymnastics routines including individual balances, pair balances, rotations, jumps and compositional aspects. All resources mentioned in the SOW are included in this product –
- Wheel of fortune basic shape spinner
- Plenary cards for basic shapes and matching and mirroring
- Individual balance resources sheet(Worth £3.50)
- Pair balances task cards and visual resource cue (worth £3.50)
- Set balances task card(not available anywhere else)
- Compositional aspects criteria
- Assessment matrix.
- Accompanying powerpoints for some lessons
This SOW / set of 6 lesson plans for gymnastics covers the following skills and objectives:
- Lesson 1 - Basic shapes - Know and demonstrate the basic shapes in gymnastics and apply them to a variety of different contexts. To develop control, fluency, tension and extension. To understand the compositional aspect of levels.
- Lesson 2 Rotations - To accurately replicate a variety of rotations. To know where the axis of rotation are. To apply skills learnt into a sequence
- Lesson 3 – Jumps - To accurately replicate a variety of jumps. To apply skills learnt into a sequence
- Lesson 4 – Individual balances - To accurately replicate balances individually.
- Lesson 5 – pair balances - To accurately replicate pair balances.
- Lesson 6 – Composition and assessment - To develop and apply knowledge of compositional aspects.
This SOW was created to save time for busy teachers. You should be able to teach a lesson with minimal preparation, maybe watching a few videos before hand or printing out some resources. Please ensure you understand the health and safety aspects of gymnastics before teaching this unit. Refer to Teaching safe practice in Physical Education by BAALPE if need be.
The scheme has powerpoints, diagrams, animate GIFS, assessment levels, differentiation , teaching points, Assessment for learning/plenary activities, links to videos that show the skill, clear explanations of the tasks and all resources and links to the resources required via the lesson plan. No timings are included as each school can vary in terms of lesson time. They should provide enough tasks for lessons of 40 minutes and above.
I also have a set of lesson plans for individual gymnastics routines available here.