How to Compare and Contrast Work
Comparing and contrasting involved identifying and analyzing the ways in which two things are similar or different. These relationships may or may not be states directly in a passage. You also may be asked to compare information in two or more passages.
1. Read the title to identify the two things being compared and contrasted. As clearly states here, they are the Roman and US Governments
2. When making comparisons, look for clue words indicating that two things are alike
3. Look for words that signal comparisons and contrasts, such as like, compared, with both…
4. Look for context clues to the meaning of unfamiliar concepts of vocabulary
5. Carefully review the information presented by considering if the two things being compared are, overall, more similar or more different
Read performance task questions very carefully. Then, as you re-read the passage, look for the information you need for the answers