A lesson plan that presents teaching and learning resources on review writing.
After completing this lesson, the students will be able to:
- Understand the conventions of a review to use them in writing.
- Determine the qualities and characteristics of an effective review.
- Apply your knowledge to write a review on seen, read, bought or experienced product.
- Review a peer work to compare your ideas with other reviewers.
This Resource includes:
- Vocabulary Overview - Reviews
- Real Life Application and Cross-Curriculum Links
- Flipped Lesson Part - Video
- Success Criteria - Reviewing Checklist
- Lesson Starter: Reviewing the review types, review subjects, and review purposes.
- Review Conventions
- Tips for Place Review
- Guidelines on Book Review
- Guidelines on Movie Review
- Pair-Share: Identifying the features of a place review and a book review.
- Think-Write: Comparing and contrasting reviews.
- Write-Share: Using graphic organizer to write a review of a book.
Mini-Plenary: 4 Online Quizzes
Differentiated Tasks: Writing reviews of the given situations.
Extensions: Online Film Review and Writing with Writers.
Plenary: Selecting best options that answer reviewing questions.
- Writing a place review.
- Writing book review.
- Writing movie review.
- Identifying the review types, review subjects, and review purposes.
- Reading review to answer questions.
Common Core Standards: ELA-Literacy-Writing - 9-10.1a-e/2a-f/4/8
Skills: Social and Cognitive
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment