The Family in Spanish - La Familia
Ten phrases for family members and five fun activities to practice understanding and pronunciation.
The ten phrases for family members are:
madre – mother
padre – father
hermano – brother
hermana – sister
abuelo – granddad
abuela – grandma
tía – aunt
tío – uncle
primo – cousin (male)
prima – cousin (female)
The slides also include translations and guidance on how to pronounce the words in Spanish for non specialist teachers.
The five activities are:
- Matching - students match the words to the pictures.
- Picture splat - teacher says the target vocabulary and two students compete to be the first to splat the picture.
- What’s missing - numbers disappear from the slide and students say what has disappeared
- Quick flash - pictures are displayed momentarily. Students put their hand up and say what the picture is. Click again and the picture appears. Click a third time and the word in Spanish appears.
- Blockbusters – students complete to say the target vocabulary to cross from one side of the board to another.
Each game includes instructions and key phrases the teacher can use in Spanish.
The PowerPoint can be used repeatedly over a half term to teach and practice key vocabulary.