The Importance of Bats - Fully editable, Science Reading Activity - Disciplinary Literacy for Grades 5-7 (ages 10-12) as well as older students with lower developed learning levels. Tackle literacy and science by having your students read and answer questions from a scientific article. Each page highlights and explains key terms for student reference. Questions include knowledge (direct from the paper), thinking, connecting, and open-ended varieties.
No prep, no formatting, no issues. Simply download, print (or upload to your class site) and you're all set. The article comes as a WORD file as well as a PDF for your convenience. The sample contains three complete readings free so you can get a better idea of how they are structured.
This reading is perfect for an extension activity, substitute plans or literacy practice and hits on the following Common Core Standards:
The reading looks at:
- Introduction to bats
- Bat echolocation
- Importance of bats
- Bat conservation
The Problems You Face
- Not having the time to properly teach scientific literacy (disciplinary literacy) or improve your students reading comprehension and analysis skills.
- Some students work faster than others and you would like an interesting extension activity for your faster-moving students to keep them learning and engaged.
This fully editable, NO PREP reading comprehension article is composed of relevant, applicable and engaging reading activities which can be used to:
• introduce your topic
• improve your students literacy skills
• improve your students reading comprehension and scientific literacy skills
• improve your student's analysis skills
• provide an extension activity to students who move at a faster pace
• provide extra credit to students in need
• measure your students literacy skills
Furthermore, this resource works very well as an emergency substitute plan as it will keep your students on task and focused while you are away.
This resource will take your students between 40-60 minutes to complete and includes a variety of questions. An answer key is also included for your reference.