This resource contains:
1. A fully editable and informative 110-slide PowerPoint presentation on the Olympic Games, their origin and development and the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games held in August 2016.
2. An accompanying 75 question quiz.
The PowerPoint makes reference to:
Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1896, the Olympic logo, the origins of, and inspiration for, the ‘Olympic Creed’ and the ‘Olympic Motto’, the New Olympic Games in Athens, the events, the competitors, the medal, the absence of women from the first games, the inclusion of women in the 1900 Paris Olympic Games, information on the 28 sports in the Rio Games.
Notable Olympic achievements - Usain Bolt’s Olympic records in 100m and 200m, Michael Phelps - the most ‘decorated’ Olympian, Bob Beaman’s Olympic record for the long jump; Interesting facts - the Japanese marathon runner who completed the marathon in 54 years! The longest ever wrestling match lasting over 11 hours; the stadiums and venues at Rio, the significance of the Rio 2016 symbols, the Olympic flame and torch journey.
The resource contains hyperlinks to:
- Usain Bolt’s Olympic record-breaking 100-metre race in London 2012
- Bob Beaman’s long jump
- Dick Fosbury’s high jump technique
- The Olympic Mascots - Vinicius and Tom
The accompanying quiz contains 75 questions with 3 multiple choice answers. It can be administered in a variety of ways - to individuals or teams. Answers are found by clicking on the olympic rings image on the bottom right-hand corner of each slide. Answers can be given either as you go along or at the end. An answer sheet is provided to allow individuals / teams to record answers. Or these could be given to pupils for research.
- What was the only event at the first Olympics in 776BC?
- How many rings are there on the Olympic flag?
- In which event was a new technique used by American athlete Dick Fosbury?
- How many sports will there be at the Rio 2016 Games?
- What is Usain Bolt’s Olympic Record time for the 100 metres?
For more inspiring educational resources visit Inspire and Educate
Thinking of publishing your own resources or already an author and want to improve your resources and sales? Check out this step-by-step guide.