- to count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers (Year 5)
- to use negative numbers, and calculate intervals across 0 (Year 6)
- to order positive and negative integers (KS3)
- to interpret negative numbers in context, count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through 0 (Year 5)
- use negative numbers in context, and calculate intervals across 0 (Year 6)
- apply this knowledge to bar and line graphs. (KS3)
This lesson consists of:
A starter / connect PowerPoint where children sequence and order negative and positive numbers.
An Interactive Whiteboard teaching introduction for both Notebook and ActivInspire, showing how empty number lines to find the difference between negative and positive numbers when applied to temperature. (differentiated 3 ways for ability).
A 4 way differentiated series of independent tasks (including a Mastery Level Challenge Activity) where children to interpret a range of charts, bar and line graphs showing positive and negative temperatures.
An AFL / Next Steps task taken from 2017 Maths SATs paper.