To read and write numbers up to 1,000,000 (Y5)
To read and write numbers up to 10,000,000 (Y6)
round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 and 100,000 (Year 5)
round any whole number to a required degree of accuracy (Year 6)
understand and use place value for decimals (KS3)
This lesson consists of:
- A connect / starter PowerPoint where children write numbers up to 1,000,000 / 10,000,000 as digits in words.
- An Interactive Whiteboard teaching introduction for both Notebook and ActivInspire teaching the conventions of rounding up to 10,000 (differentiated 3 ways for ability
- A 4 way differentiated series of independent tasks where children round numbers up to 100,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 100, 1000, 10000 and decimals to nearest 1, 0.1, 0.01
- An AFL / Next Steps task where children apply their knowledge to real life population problems.
NB Updated 27/6/17
- UKS2 Term 1 - Week 1 -Day 2 Starter - 3 pasting errors on answer page,
- Upper Key Stage 2 Week 1 Day 2 - Rounding whole numbers accurately - independent task – 1 rounding error – Developing c1