This resource contains four sets of resources designed to consolidate some of the work undertaken in the White Rose Maths Scheme small steps Year 6 programme. The theme for this investigation resource is the 2018 Football World Cup. It is intended to be used in weeks 8 - 11 of the Summer Term.
The resource contains worksheets and activities on Year 6 National Curriculum Maths Objectives.
Worksheets and Activities
- Calculation of the mean age of England’s football squad.
- Selection of a team from each of the 8 football groups in the World Cup to track performance and complete performance tables.
- Calculation of percentages on selected statistics of England squad
- Selection of 5 players from England’s football squad to follow and assess performance in the World Cup.
- Compilation of data and statistics on players’ performance in tabular form.
- Pictorial representation of the data in the form of bar charts and pie graphs.
- Completion of results tables for selected teams and players.
- Triangular Numbers - tasks include the investigation of triangular numbers.
- Number Patterns -this involves calculating the the number of group matches that are played in each group, an investigation into how many matches would be played in groups of varying sizes and the investigation of number patterns.
- Calculations - tasks include the calculation of the number of matches that will be played during the World Cup and an investigation of how many hours of football will be played.
- This focuses on the completion of group tables, a summative World Cup football group table and the population of the round of 16, quarter-final, semi-final, final and third place play off tables.
- Percentages and Probability -an investigation into the probability of countries from the different confederations winning the World Cup.
- Tasks on a number of time and number World Cup themed time and number problems.
- Cost of World Cup match tickets and investigating the best deals.
- Investigation into the driving and flying distances and times to travel to Moscow.
- Investigation of the dimensions of football pitches - perimeter and area, length of diagonal, drawing to scale.
- World Cup players goal statistics comparison card game.
- An investigation into, and comparison of, the statistics for the top 8 World Cup goal scorers involving the calculation of conversion rates for shots at goal and the mean.
- Investigation into the seating capacity of the stadiums being used for the World Cup matches.
- Calculating currency exchange from pounds to rubles and vice versa.
- from pounds to rubles.
- Calculating the cost of a trip to the World Cup including accommodation costs, cost of match tickets, flights, meals in pounds and rubles.
- Calculation of the weight of clothing to pack for the trip in order not to exceed the 20 kilogram baggage allowance
- The comparison of the number of goals scored and the size of spectators at the last five World Cup tournaments and pictorial representation of this data in the form of pie charts and bar graphs.
- World Cup Dice game and World Cup Penalty Shoot Out game
Thinking of publishing your own resources or already an author and want to improve your resources and sales? Check out this step-by-step guide.