This bundle contains four sets of resources designed to consolidate some of the work undertaken in the White Rose Maths Scheme small steps Year 6 programme. It is intended to be used in weeks 8 - 11 of the Summer Term.
The resource contains worksheets, tasks and activities on the following :Year 6 Maths National Curriculum objectives:
- Use knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the four operations.
- Solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts deciding which operations and methods to use and why.
- Solve number problems and practical problems that involve all elements of place value.
- Calculate and interpret the mean as an average.
- Solve problems involving the calculation and conversion of units of measure, using decimal notation to three decimal places.
- Coronation Square - pupils investigate the number of people living in a number of houses.
- Chessboard Squares - pupils investigate and calculate the number of squares on a chessboard.
- Oscar’s Book - pupils investigate the number of pages in a book.
- Cinema Outing - pupils investigate whether four friends are able to get together for a trip to the cinema.
- The Long Jump Competition - pupils investigate the length of pupils’ long jumps on Sports Day.
- Ice Creams All Round - pupils investigate the combinations of scoops of ice cream on a cone out of 3 or more choices.
- Height in Coins - pupils investigate the value of their height in coins. How much are they worth?
- A Shoe Box of Coins - pupils investigate the value of a shoe box full of £1 coins and whether it is enough to pay for a trip to Disneyland, Paris.
- Chocolate Bars - pupils investigate a selection of chocolate bars to find out which is the best value for money
- Tea and Coffee - pupils investigate how much tea or coffee their teacher drinks in a year and how many baths that would fill!
- Tree Problem - a gardener has been asked to plant 10 trees in five rows so that each row contains 4 trees. Is this possible?
- Tree Height Investigation 1 - Pupils calculate the height of tree by viewing from 45 degrees angle and measuring their distance away from tree
- Tree Height Investigation 2 - Pupils estimate the height of the tree using a different method so they can compare the two estimates.
- Tree Age Investigation - Pupils investigate the age of a tree by measuring its girth / circumference and applying a formula according to the type of tree.
- Conifer Tree Age Investigation - Pupils investigate the age of a conifer tree by counting the number of whorls.
- Pupils produce their results and findings of their investigation in appropriate formats - ie tabular form, graphs
Disneyland Trip Investigation
This investigation involves pupils finding out whether £1000 is enough money to pay for a week long trip to Disneyland Paris. Pupils investigate and / or cost out the price of Disneyland Theme Park tickets, return flights, accommodation including breakfast and travel to and from the airport. They also need to work out the cost of lunch and an evening meal for each day. They are required to find out the exchange rate for pounds to euros and euros to pounds. Calculations will involve working out the value of items in euros and pounds and vice-versa.
Having collated all this information pupils need to work out whether £1000 is enough money to cover the cost of the trip.
Pupils also have to pack their suitcase making sure that it does not exceed the 20 kilogram luggage allowance. This requires pupils investigating the weight of items they are likely to pack and the weight of the suitcase itself. They need to choose the items they will take ensuring that the items do not exceed the allowance.
The resources are differentiated to cater for the needs of different pupils. The most challenging tasks involve pupils researching much of the information themselves. For pupils requiring extra help, the information needed is provided.
Thinking of publishing your own resources or already an author and want to improve your resources and sales? Check out this step-by-step guide.
To be kept informed of new resources click [here]https://www.tes.com/member/Krazikas) and follow.