Visually attractive full lesson on poetic terms using the short poem ‘The Eagle’ by Alfred Lord Tennyson. Ideal for weaker KS3 classes or later KS2.
Full Power Point and all resources included. Lesson features:
• Visually engaging lesson starter and extension.
• Graded lesson outcomes with the main objective being to learn poetic devices to further the understanding of a poem.
• A poetic terms match-up activity featuring seven poetic devices – similes, metaphors, personification, alliteration, vivid colour, the senses and imagery. This can be done on paper or made into a kinaesthetic task. (Resource included at the back of the Power Point.)
• Poetic terms answer page.
• Visual and simple explanation pages of similes, metaphors and alliteration with a short true or false task.
• Link to video clip of a reading of ‘The Eagle’ by Alfred Lord Tennyson.
• Colour coded identification of poetic devices task – students are asked to stick the poem in their books (resource provided) and colour code the given devices.
• Colour coded answer page.
• Short plenary activity where students are prompted to write a brief comment about the poem or offer a more detailed response for more able students.
For more great resources and lessons, see my page here:
(To the best of my knowledge, all images are royalty free.)