Learning Session Four: What are the countries in Europe like?
Learning Outcome: To locate countries in Europe concentrating on their environmental regions, key physical and human characteristics, countries, and major cities.
• Learning task- Use Google Earth and mapping / atlas skills.
• Look at Map of Europe. – what do they know? How many countries can we find in five minutes? List, including Russia. How many countries are there? What is the difference between a country and a continent?
Make a list of geographical/and a few cultural questions that we counld research to compare countries. eg Environmental – climate,
Physical features - mountains, rivers, lakes, beaches
Human – capital city; major cities; tourism
Cultural – language; religion
• Focus on Germany, Switzerland and Greece.
• Do Round Robin of classrooms – ch learn about one country in each class.
• 3W – Germany; 3B Greece’ 3MB Switzerland;
What facts can we discover? Compare - similarities and differences.
Give each child a research passport to complete for each country.
Plenary ��� share facts and display
Resources – holiday brochures for pictures