A full week of lessons and activities for KS2 reading and writing, based around the first 4 chapters of 'The Witches' by Roald Dahl. These would be ideal as part of a book study, for guided reading or for creative writing sessions.
All teaching resources, differentiated independent activities and planning are provided as part of the pack.
The teaching PowerPoint contains introductions to five separate lessons, as well as examples for modelling and discussing each independent task. There are five independent activities, so the pack can be used for a whole week or just for 1 or 2 lessons.
1. Discussion of chapters 1 & 2, followed by children writing reports about suspected witch abductions.
2. Discussion of chapter 3, then children design a wanted poster for a witch.
3. A grammar lesson, using adverb sentence openers. Children complete spooky-themed worksheets linked to this.
4. Discussion of chapter 4, then planning a diary about an encounter between a witch and a child.
5. Discussion of diary writing and features, then children use their plans to write their own diary entries of the witch/child encounter.
The flexibility of the lessons and the entertaining nature of Roald Dahl's story mean that I have been able to use this pack in Years 3 to 6.
*Teacher PowerPoint presentation for introducing 5 lessons
*All differentiated writing templates, worksheets and support sheets
*Challenge tasks built into the PowerPoint slides
*Full planning grid, linked to English curriculum
Please see the Goldtopfox shop for more helpful English and general teaching resources: