A comprehensive guide for parents and teachers to PRACTICAL activities, conversations, chants and games to help young children (ages 5-9) master the early concepts in fractions and decimals.
Children often have difficulty understanding fractions and decimals.
The approach I have developed, using counters and metre sticks, is great for making it all make sense!
I've divided the guide up by age and stage with an A4 page on each concept which you can print for reference in the classroom and also send home for parents to refer to. There are also links to my tablet materials in Wise Owl Maths which can be used for extra consolidation. I haven't found a way of putting these on TES yet, but you can find them on my web site at www.mathsinvestigations.com
The guide is in two parts. This is Part 1. Part 2 is still being written!
Part 1 covers
- Halving and Doubling
- Splitting into Equal Groups
Step 2 (includes 4 pupil sheets):
- Count, Speak, Write & Draw Halves
- Quarters and Quartering
- Count, Speak, Write and Draw Quarters
- Count, Speak and Write other Fractions
- Counting Caterpillar and Tap Say Turn
- Halves of Metres and Mixed Numbers
- Numerator and Denominator
- Quarters of Metres and Improper Fractions
- Quadruple and Quarter Numbers; Factors
- Single Place Decimals
- Tenths and Halves
- Decimals & Equivalences
- Tenths and Fifths
- Fractions of 12 and 20
- Unit Fractions using Tables
- Fifths and Tenths using Tables
- Something out of Something as a Fraction
- Halves and Quarters with Remainders
Let me know if you find this guide useful and it will motivate me to press on with writing Part 2!