This resource contains the second set in a series of 4 sets of resources designed to consolidate some of the work undertaken in the White Rose Maths Scheme small steps Year 6 programme. This resource is intended for use in week 9 of the Summer Term. It will help pupils to apply the knowledge and skills they have gained by using them in open-ended investigations using their problem-solving and reasoning skills.
The resource focuses on the following areas of the Year 6 Maths National Curriculum Objectives:
- Use knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the four operations.
- Solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts deciding which operations and methods to use and why.
- Solve number problems and practical problems that involve all elements of place value.
- Solve problems involving the calculation and conversion of units of measure, using decimal notation to three decimal places.
- Use, read, write and convert between standard units, converting measurements of length, mass, volume and time from a smaller unit of measure to a larger unit, and vice versa, using decimal notation to up to three decimal places
- Calculate and interpret the mean as an average.
- Height in Coins - pupils investigate the value of their height in coins. How much are they worth?
- A Shoe Box of Coins - pupils investigate the value of a shoe box full of £1 coins and whether it is enough to pay for a trip to Disneyland, Paris.
- Chocolate Bars - pupils investigate a selection of chocolate bars to find out which is the best value for money
- Tea and Coffee - pupils investigate how much tea or coffee their teacher drinks in a year and how many baths that would fill!
To view all four sets of Year 6 Investigations click on the link below